Sunday, April 1, 2012

Satisfying the Sweet Tooth Without the Sugar

Low carb diets are hard when you’ve got a sweet tooth! Sure, there’s sugarless sweets out there, but they’re budget busting expensive! But I’ve found a solution in Pillsbury’s sugarfree cake mixes and brownie mix. The cake mixes come in yellow and chocolate. Unfortunately, the gourmet flavors and the fun flavors aren’t available in sugarless versions yet.

Fortunately with basic flavors, you can be creative to change them up. Sugarfree chocolate and vanilla frostings are available so you can make up a straight up traditional pan cake. I haven’t done that yet as I’m not a fan of mounds of frosting. But I have found some creative alternatives.

I typically back cakes in my bundt cake pan. I could eat plain hot cake, but to compromise with John, I drizzle frosting on them – vanilla and chocolate work well on the chocolate mix. With yellow, I stick to chocolate.

My favorite way to make these cakes is to top them with no sugar added fruit. This works great on the yellow mix. Or fill the bottom of the pan with no sugar added fruit pie filling and pour the cake mix on top. I’ve done used blueberry and cherry pie filling on the yellow mix and cherry pie filling with the chocolate mix. Flipping the cake out of the pan is a little tricky – I use an oversized plate (bigger than my cake plate) to avoid spills. The results are amazing!

This photo doesn’t do it justice.

Be warned: These delish deserts are low sugar, but not low calorie.

No comments:

Post a Comment