Homebuyers need to purchase homes all year long, so there might be some advantages to placing homes on the market during the holiday season. Some of these benefits include:
1. People who look at property during the holidays are serious buyers and are more ready to make a decision.
2. Serious buyers have fewer houses to choose from during the holidays, so property has less competition.
3. Houses "show better" when decorated for the holidays with the wonderful lights and festive colors associated with the season.
4. Buyers are more emotional during the holidays and often base their decision on the warmth and good feeling they receive when viewing your house.
5. Buyers have more time to look for a house during the holidays because they have designated time off from work to purchase a home.
6. Many people want to buy before the end of the year for financial and tax reasons.
7. January is traditionally the month for transfers. Transferees can't wait until the Spring to buy. Your house must be on the market to capture these buyers.
8. You may restrict showings during your own personal family events and still take advantage of your spruced up and decorated "show ready" property.
9. You can sell now, but specify a delayed closing or extended occupancy until early next year if you so desire and if agreeable to the other party.
10. By selling now you have an opportunity to buy during the spring, when more properties are on the market.