Sunday, January 29, 2012

Traditional Beef Stew

There’s not a whole lot tradition in most of what I cook, but when it’s cold outside, and I’m in the mood for a hearty winter meal, nothing beats an old fashion beef stew. My mother and grandmothers used to make beef stew too, but they put in it stuff I didn’t like – or at least I didn’t think belonged in there. It was years before I realized that I could put whatever vegetables I wanted in a stew – which is basically what “stew” means.

Ingredients:
1 package of pre-trim stew meat, seasoned liberally with tenderizer.
2 cubes of beef bullion or 1 can of beef broth
1 large can of tomato sauce and 1 can of diced tomatoes
3-4 cans of vegetables (drained). I typically use corn, potatoes, peas, carrots and onions. I don't put green beans in my stew, though some people do.
2-3 tablespoons of corn starch to thicken the broth.

Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker. Simmer until the meat flakes apart. The longer and slower the stew simmers the more tender the meat will be, usually 8-9 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment