Saturday, June 23, 2012

From Trash to Flash

I hate throwing out glass jars and bottles. There’s always a way to repurpose and keep them out of a landfill. When I finish with a jar, I clean it up and then add it to my craft stash. I may night have an idea for right then, But I never know when inspiration might strike… Like it did a few days ago.

Digging through my craft stash looking for something to do, I came up with this idea for some quick Fourth of July decorations you can use year after year. For this projected, I used empty candle jars, but really, you could do this any kind of empty glass jar.

I used this project as an opportunity to see what kind of paint works best on glass – brush on acrylic craft paint or enamel spray paint. I matched the base colors to some scrapbook cut out decorations that I had. One set was rustic, muted reds and blues and the other was vivid, glittery sparkly red and blue.I don’t do scrapebooks, but I find that the cutouts come in handy for other projects – like this one, so I pick up them up when I find them on clearance.

I spray painted two jars a light tan and brush painted two a bright white. I put about three coats on all four of the jars. After they were dry, about four hours, I applied the scrapbook decorations to each of the jars using white craft glue.

The glittery pieces went on quickly and easily. Soft and rubbery, they were easy to work with on the curved surface. I accented the pieces with dots of red and blue paint. It took me less than 30 minutes to complete both jars. I set them aside to dry.

Next I worked with the rustic pieces. They were more difficult to work with because they were stuff and did not want to follow the curves and adhere to the surface. I ended up gluing down the middle first, allowing that to dry and then gluing down the sides. I took about three or four attempts to get them securely glued down.

After they were dry, I sealed all the surfaces by brushing them with white craft glue.

Three of the jars didn’t have lids, but they looked a little odd uncovered. I solved that problem by cutting squares of fabric twice the width of the jar opening. I edge the fabric with serrated scissors. Once the jars were completely dry, I secured the fabric to the jar with a rubber band and then tying a ribbon over it.




No comments:

Post a Comment