Saturday, June 2, 2012

Trash to Treasure


When my parents moved from the old homestead some years ago, I found myself rummaging around in their barn. Barns are great places to find amazing treasures. Slated for the dumpster was an old Eight O’clock Coffee tin. There’s no telling how old the tin is, but it’s price, still marked on the bottom was 99 cents. Eight O'Clock Coffee is the brand name of the light roast of coffee introduced by the American supermarket chain A&P in 1859. I’m guessing that it came from paternal grandparents homestead since A&P was the only grocery store near Sulphur Springs for years. The brand still exists, but it’s no longer sold in a tin, nor is anywhere near 99 cents. However, the tin itself is worth what I pound of Eight O'Clock Coffee sells for today – about $25.


I also found a vintage wooden canister set with two red, yellow and green roosters on the front. I seem to recall my dad telling that it they were dug up on a job site somewhere in America years ago. At any rate they were dirty, but otherwise in good shape. After reaching the find, I discovered that they three canister set was made in Japan circa 1950. The complete four piece set – which I have – is worth about $50.


Not one to let such treasures hide away, I used them as pots to create greenery arrangements: Silk greenery with red, white and blue flowers, garnished with a few seasonal picks. Every year, I trot them out as part of my summer decorating scheme. This year, they’re going on my free standing wine rack.

Yup, somebody else’s trash is my treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment