Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Creative Christmas Giving

Christmas has always been a big deal at our home, and when I knew I was going to be retired from my public relations job, I started looking for ways well before the impending lay off to save money and still make Christmas a memorable family gathering.

We knew we had to make changes in how and how much money we spent. We also realized that this was the perfect time to make lasting changes in how we celebrated the holiday. None of us really need or want anything. If we do, we are fortunate enough to be able to buy most anything we need or want. No, we decided that Christmas presents had to be meaningful.

One of the changes we made was to say that at least one gift to everyone and from everyone had to be personally handmade. I sew, so this year, I made felt shopping bags for everyone. Felt is cheap so it that helps on the Christmas budget. It’s also easy to personalize each bag. But more importantly, reflects my desire for my family to be more green.

Last year, the first year that we did this, my daughter created beautiful, handmade canvas prints of my grandson. My dad made me a beautiful cake plate – and even baked cookies! My sons, not much on the creative front, give me framed photos. Those are gifts I'll cherish forever.

Buying locally produced products also is important to us, so at least one gift had to be made in Texas or at least made in the USA. This was my excuse to hit the McKinney Downtown Square.

Loco Cowpoke and Landon Winery are two of my favorite shops for made in Texas goods. Every item sold at Loco Cowpoke is made in Texas. My son-in-law the barbeque connoisseur got a selection of Texas-made barbeque sauces; my mother and daughter got the amazing margarita jelly; my youngest son, the amazing Texas grown and pickled olives. There’s also Texas-made peanut butters, chocolates and honey as well as the expected sauces.

Landon Winery is a popular gift with by parents and my brother – whose name happens to be Landon. We’re partial to the fruit wines and the dessert wines. And I got the gift box – for obvious reasons.

Another thing I started a couple of years ago, is the "coolest thing ever" gift. I buy one outrageously practical, but totally cool gift in bulk and every family gets one. The first year I did it, I bought Megabrite LED Color Changing Night Lights in multi-packs. You plug these decorative night lights into the wall, and they fade from one color to the next. Practical and pretty. I got a lot of strange looks when those gifts were open. Everybody thought I was off my rocker, but when I go into their homes, they all have them plugged in.

Last year, I gave the even more practical memory foam bath mats. My youngest son was the loudest to yelp about such an odd ball gift. Then a couple of weeks after Christmas, he called with an admission: "Mom, I didn't get what was so special about that bath mat. Then I jump out of the shower this morning, and it was cold! When my feet landed on it, I got it!” Not to mention that it helps reduce my elderly parents chances of slipping or eases the burden on my daughter’s knees when she baths my grandson.

While I haven’t decided this year’s coolest gift ever, I almost always buy them from a warehouse store so I can get them in bulk and for much, much cheaper than you can get them anywhere online.

Beyond the quest to be green and to be practical, I also have a couple of frugality strategies.

Last year, I discovered Coin Star’s free coin counting service. You can take your jars full of change to Coin Star and exchange them for e-certificates and gift cards for free. Participating retailers are practical places where you’re like to shop for Christmas anyway: Penny’s, Sears, Toys R Us, Lowes, Gap and Amazon.com, just to name a few. There’s also several grocery stores and restaurants participating. I bought most of my grandson's 2011 Christmas with Coin Star generated gift cards and will likely do the same this year as I have filled three big jars since last Christmas.

A couple of things to note: not all merchants are available at all coin star machines. For example, at Walmart, you can only get restaurant and hotel gift certificates. I found that out the hard way and ended up trekking across the street to Kroger to get the Toys R Us deal. Coin Star has since upgraded its web site so that you can find a vending machine that offers the gift certificate you’re looking for before you head out.

Also be aware that the rules for each gift card and e-certificate is different from vendor to vendor, and you won’t necessarily find the answers online – only on the printed receipt you receive after you've cashed in your coins. I figured out that the hard way too. Toys R Us/Babies R Us issues e-certificates which can only be used to make online purchases, which I - and the store staff - learned after several phone calls to corporate. I had to go home and make my purchase. I was able to do in store pick up at no cost, but that option may not be available on everything you buy. Be aware that your purchase my include shipping costs and could take up to two weeks to arrive. Make sure you do this with plenty of time to spare.
Now for something new that I'm doing this year.... Selling Avon. You can become an Avon rep for only $10. (Most other direct sales opportunities are $150 or more to join). As a new rep, you get up to 40 percent discount on your first four orders if those orders are at least $100 each. (Discount depends on the product). You get $100 with of products for $60 (plus shipping and tax)
You can order stocking stuffer favorites for women, men and kids super cheap. Actually, you can get some pretty nice tree gifts super cheap too. You’ll be able to get fantastic deals on popular gifts – sleepwear, clothes, jewelry, footwear, colognes, perfumes and bath products.

Oh, and you can restock your bathroom while you’re at it. Avon is comparably priced to Wal-mart on the cosmetics, hair care and skin care products you use every day. And the quality is comparable to high-end department store products! Because everyone knows the Avon name, it’s very easy to sell to friends, family and coworkers, and they're subsidizing your Christmas shopping. Just last week, I filled three huge stockings for $4 TOTAL, thanks to my wonderful customers.

Yes, there’s a downside – you do pay for shipping, but in this day of online shopping, you should be used to that. And if you decide to make a side business of it, there are some niggly costs involved – you have to pay for brochures and samples (both of which really do encourage sales) and you pay for your gas if your customers are beyond your normal travels.

Avon does have no hassle, online sign up. Email me for the link and sign up code. I promise not to bug you.

So yes, it’s the only the beginning of October, but we’re already planning for a great Christmas!!!

christmas list ideas, best christmas gifts, christmas crafts, christmas shop, christmas store, unique christmas decorations, christmas tree decorations, christmas stocking, christmas décor, christmas gifts, christmas stores, the christmas store, christmas clearance, christmas ornament, decoration for Christmas, christmas shopping specials, christmas shopping sites, unique christmas gifts, special gifts for him, gifts for men, mens birthday gifts, christmas shopping on line, discount,christmas decorations, cheap christmas shopping, online christmas gift ideas, christmas gift shop, last minute christmas shopping, cheap christmas shopping, christmas shopping online, christmas shopping on a budget, online christmas shopping, christmas shopping ideas, christmas list ideas, best christmas gifts, christmas crafts, christmas store, unique christmas decorations, christmas tree decorations, christmas stocking, christmas décor, christmas gifts, christmas stores, the christmas store, christmas clearance, christmas ornament

No comments:

Post a Comment