Saturday, February 25, 2012

A Texas Star


Did you know that the Texas will be 176 years old next week! March 2, is the celebration of the adoption of theTexas Declaration of Independence, declaring itself independent from Mexico. Even though state joined the United States a decade later, Texas Independence Day is still an official holiday in the state of Texas.

In celebration of this uniquely Texas holiday, I thought I’d share a quick little craft idea. This Texas Star is a variation of the rustic Valentine heart. I purchased this wooden star a couple of years ago in Canton for 50 cents at the same time I purchased the wooden heart. It too got stuck away in my craft stash. Fortunately wooden star cut outs are easy to find year round.

I painted the star a bright blue, using acrylic craft paint. I let it dry for about four hours. While that was drying, I used white acrylic craft paint on the pre-cut wood letters and bright red on the pre-cut heart I purchased at Michael’s. Once drive, about six hours, I glued the letters and heart to the star using wood glue. When the glue had set up, about two hours, I sealed the whole thing by painting it with a layer of white craft glue and let it dry overnight.

I put it on the fireplace as a reminder of holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment