Sunday, February 12, 2012

Lentil Soup

Once upon a time, my mother and grandmothers would labor over roasts on Sunday. Every single Sunday. It was the “fancy” meal of the week where everybody gathered at the table. I love a good roast, but I'm basically lazy when it comes to cooking, especially the day after a StoneAge show… and I don’t remember the last time we ate at the table.

In trying to figure out quick soups I could make before we left for a show, I hit upon lentil soup.
It’s quick, easy and pretty inexpensive to make. And John says they're pretty good too! Just what we need to get us out of bed on Sunday after a night of rock and roll.

Lentil Soup

Ingredients:
1 package of dry lentils
2 cans of sliced carrots, drained (or one package of frozen sliced carrots)
1 medium onion finely chopped (or one package of chopped frozen onions)
1-2 rings of smoked sausage, any brand or flavor. I usually get Healthy Choice or Hillshire Farms, all beef.

Fill to the crock brim with water

Sometimes I’ll put this on low before we go to bed and it’s usually ready in six hours. Lentils cook really fast compared to other types of beans and legumes. If I forget to put it on the night before, I’ll set the slow cooker on high, so it's usually done in about three hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment