Sunday, August 19, 2012

Bacon Ball Squash

Since the beginning of July, I’ve been all about squash, especially summer squash. I just can’t seem to get enough. I love to bake it and I’ve added to slow cooker dishes.

On my weekly swing through the farmer’s market, I spied a new squash I hadn’t seen before. It looked like zucchini, except it was round, about the size of a baseball. The sign over it said “Texas 8-ball squash.” I was curious, so I whipped out my Xoom to find out more: indeed, it’s a hybrid zucchini and can be substituted for zucchini in most recipes. It also can be stuffed. Slice off the top and scoop out the insides and stuff with meat or cheese or whatever you might stuff a bell pepper with.

On the other side of the aisle, I found a yellow version, called Golden Ball Squash. Not sure what I would do with them, I bought one of each.

My new finds sat in the refrigerator for a couple of days because I couldn’t think of anything to do with them except bake them. As I as stuffing bell peppers, I had an idea. No, I wasn’t going to stuff them too. The grocer said they made a “pretty dish,” Pretty hmmm. I dug out my round baking dish and sliced the zucchini and put it on the bottom. I layered onions then yellow squash and topped with peppered bacon. I slide it in the oven along side my stuffed peppers.



A little more than 45 minutes later, we had a delicious bacon-y twist on one of staple side dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment