Saturday, August 11, 2012

Custom Wall Hanging on the Cheap


I hate throwing stuff away. If it’s not utterly destroyed, I look for ways to recycle or upcycle it. Such was the case with a pair of wall sconces I had. I don’t know where they came from originally. I think I had them when we lived in Heath, but I can’t find them any pictures from those years. At any rate, somewhere between our move from Allen to McKinney, the backing became so warped they wouldn’t hang right on the wall. The mirrors also were scrapped up and chipped. Yes, I could have very easily tossed them or put at least put them in a garage sale, but that’s the last resort. Besides, I had a perfect spot for them in my new dining room – which we had just painted an orangey – rust color.

The easiest thing, I guess, would have been to replace the mirrors, but there’s already a huge mirror in there and it wouldn’t give me the custom feel I wanted. And that would have cost money too.

I dug around in my fabric stash and found a piece of linen that matched the room. I measured out the fabric against each mirror and added an each on all four sides. I securely and tightly taped down the fabric with masking tape, taking care to mitre fold the corners. The covered mirrors now fit more snuggly into the frame than they had before and didn’t require any backing in the frame.















Voila! Custom upholstered wall sconces to match my décor!

No comments:

Post a Comment