Saturday, August 18, 2012

Homemade Aromatherapy


Once day this week, as I was slicing lemons for our tea, I noticed that the kitchen smelled amazing! So summery! Next I peeled cucumbers for our dinner. The summer lemon scent mingled with the fresh, clean cucumber smell. I was in olfactory heaven! I wondered how I could make the scent last longer.

Shredded lemon and cucumber peels
I remembered an small electric potpourri warmer I had put away. I hadn’t used it since we moved to the house two years ago. I guess there was a reason I hadn’t used it. It was Christmas décor – and it was cracked. I had to put my experiment on hold. I gathered up my peels and put them in the refrigerator.

On my next swath through the store, I picked up an inexpensive warmer - $10 – to see if my idea would really work.

By the time I got my warmer home, the peels weren’t as fresh as before, so I dug out my food processor and ran them through to freshen the zest. Then I spooned the mixture in the warmer. It took a few hours for the contents to heat thoroughly, but when it did, the scent was… surprising! I was expecting something maybe more like a creamy lotion-y cucumber smell. Instead mixing lemon and cucumber yielded an unexpected earthy scent – more like cut grass after a rain, very subtle notes. I discovered stirring the warm mixture helps to release even more scent. I keep the warmer next to my desk so I can indulge in the natural aromatherapy.

 I’m going to be trying some different combinations for fall. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment